ADDICTION AND PAIN MANAGEMENT
- Is Grandma really using fentanyl? Pitfalls in interpreting toxicology screens
- New FDA guidelines for using naloxone
- Treating acute and chronic pain in patients with substance use disorder
- Managing complicated alcohol withdrawal
- Reducing the risk of recurrent opiate overdose at discharge
- What to do when there is no allergist
- Getting rid of the low-risk penicillin allergy label
- New anaphylaxis guidelines
- Class action: sorting out the overlap between penicillin and cephalosporins
- Things we do for no reason: steroids for anaphylaxis?
- Going with the flozin: state of the art CHF management
- Dual anti-platelet therapy after stenting: are we overdoing it?
- Rhythm control versus rate control for atrial fibrillation revisited
- Peri-operative anticoagulation in patients on DOACs
- Post-op atrial fibrillation: to anticoagulate or not to anticoagulate?
- How low should you go? Hemoglobin targets in acute coronary syndromes
- Reducing readmissions for heart failure: best practices in discharge planning
- Overcoming diuretic resistance in heart failure
- Is it ever OK to stop anticoagulation in unprovoked venous thrombosis?
- When to refer patients with aortic stenosis for TAVR
- Should we stop saying “provoked” vs “unprovoked” VTE?
- Coronary CT: as good as cardiac catheterization?
- “Wearables”—how new mobile technology is changing the detection and management of atrial fibrillation
- “Holiday heart” revisited: the effect of alcohol consumption on atrial fibrillation
- Update on pharmacotherapy for delirium
- Non-pharmacologic interventions for preventing delirium
- Preventing delirium in the high-risk geriatric patient: what works?
- Difficult cases in delirium management
- How important is deprescribing for older patients?
- Cellulitis: antibiotic dilemmas and when to call dermatology
- Inpatient dermatologic zebras
- DRESSed to kill: drug reactions and other can't-miss dermatology diagnoses
- Cutaneous findings of systemic disease
- Diagnosing rashes in hospitalized patients
- Cellulitis or venous stasis? Demystifying the swollen red leg
- The importance of leg compression to prevent recurrent cellulitis of the leg
- Understanding the newest data about optimal treatment durations for cellulitis
- Can't-miss ECG diagnoses
- Radiology pearls: identifying subtle findings on CXR
- Rapid-fire review of electrolyte, liver, and heme cases
- Contrast or no contrast? Choosing the right imaging protocols
- Dangers of SGLT2 inhibitors: euglycemic DKA and UTIs
- Challenging cases in insulin management
- Continuous glucose monitoring in hospitalized diabetics
- New guidelines for the management of hyperglycemia
- Adrenal insufficiency: who to treat and how to taper
- Pitfalls in managing thyroid disease in medically ill patients
- What to do about adrenal incidentalomas
- When to worry about pheochromocytoma
- Inpatients with fragility fractures: are we doing enough?
- Are you missing hypoxia? Racial bias in pulse oximetry
- Race-based reference ranges: end of an error?
- Anti-racism in hospital medicine, from triage to care transitions
- Improving access to organ transplantation
- Racial equity and pain management in the hospital
- Improving patient outcomes with interpreter services
- New guidelines for ascites and spontaneous bacterial peritonitis
- New guidelines on management of upper and lower GI bleeds
- Optimal timing for intra-abdominal drainage in necrotizing pancreatitis
- Urgent endoscopy in acute GI bleeding: bad for patients?
- Managing the cirrhotic patient with bleeding and thrombosis
- Too soon? When to resume anticoagulation and antiplatelet agents after a GI bleed
- Terlipressin for hepatorenal syndrome: promise and peril
- Smartphones in the diagnosis of decompensated cirrhosis
- Video capsule endoscopy: diagnostic procedure of choice for GI bleeds in the very elderly?
- Fluid resuscitation in acute pancreatitis: less is more?
- Procalcitonin to guide antibiotic use in acute pancreatitis
- The newest risk scores to help manage patient with upper GI bleeds
- The optimal timing of endoscopy in patient with upper GI bleeds
- Current approaches to preventing post-ERCP pancreatitis
- Understanding the urgent indications for ERCP
- Orthostatic vitals: are we doing them all wrong?
- IV acetaminophen in severe pain in older adults at risk for delirium
- Is there a role for tramadol in treating musculoskeletal pain in older adults?
- Rethinking the risk-benefit ratios of surgery and high-risk invasive procedures for older adults
- Anticoagulation selection in the elderly Risk of anaphylaxis with IV iron in older adults
- Managing complex patients with bleeding and thrombosis
- More data on DOACs in obesity and kidney disease
- Diagnosing and managing thrombocytopenia
- Diagnostic pearls for anemia in the hospitalized patient IV iron – what you need to know
- The latest on COVID-associated thrombosis
- New venous thromboembolism guidelines
- Anticoagulation for rheumatic heart disease with atrial fibrillation
- Thromboprophylaxis following extremity fractures
- Intensive case-based review of inpatient antibiotic therapy
- Short-course antibiotics for common infections
- New antibiotics for MRSA and multidrug-resistant Gram-negative rods
- Fecal transplantation: the best first-line treatment for C. difficile?
- Do discharged patients give C. difficile to their loved ones?
- Fecal microbiota enemas to prevent recurrent C. difficile: more than just a flash in the bedpan?
- When are oral drugs appropriate for bacteremia?
- Should we consult ID for bacteremia?
- MRSA bacteremia: is vancomycin enough?
- What still works for COVID
- New CDC guidelines for long COVID
- Pearls for interpreting culture and sensitivity data
- New guidelines for endocarditis from injection drug use
- When should we cover for MRSA pneumonia?
- Breaking the cycle in patients with recurrent UTIs
- New treatment options for complicated UTIs
- Alternatives to the 10-point pain scale
- Case-based approach to the complex palliative care patient
- What time is the right time to call palliative care?
- Serious illness conversations and documentation
- The newest developments in pain management in palliative care
- The latest on perioperative aspirin, statins, beta blockers, and ACE inhibitors
- Perioperative anticoagulation: when should patients be bridged?
- Timing of surgery in hip fracture patients
- Reducing pulmonary risk in perioperative patients
- The role of biomarkers in preoperative management
- Stress dose corticosteroids in the peri-operative setting
- To hold or not to hold: understanding the latest on perioperative medication management
- Troponins and the perioperative patient—recent guideline recommendations
- HELLP me: managing medical complications in pregnant and post-partum patients
- Pearls for managing personality disorders in the hospital
- Perioperative management of medications for psychiatric diseases
- Waking up patients to check vital signs—best practice or overdoing it?
- Diagnostic yield of neuroimaging for common psychiatric presentations
- Tailored steroid therapy in acute exacerbation of COPD
- New asthma guidelines: is albuterol still appropriate for rescue therapy?
- State-of-the-art treatment for asthma and COPD exacerbations
- Current recommendations for high-flow and supplemental O2
- New Surviving Sepsis guidelines
- Updated 2023 GOLD guidelines – triple therapy
- Fluid restriction in septic shock?
- Too much of a good thing? Vitamin C in sepsis
- Short-course antibiotics in COPD exacerbations
- Dapagliflozin and reduction of progression of chronic kidney disease
- New data: early renal replacement therapy in acute kidney injury
- COVID and acute kidney injury: what the hospitalist needs to know
- Dialysis access: what the hospitalist needs to know
- A salty dispute: LR vs NS revisited
- Diagnosing the patient with acute glomerulonephritis
- Blood pressure management in end-stage renal disease
- The latest on managing hyperkalemia and hyperphosphatemia
- Diagnosing acute kidney injury and acute glomerulonephritis
- What can hospitalists do to slow CKD progression?
- New AHA/ASA guidelines for stroke management
- Updates on mechanical thrombectomy for ischemic stroke
- Telestroke: an idea whose time has come?
- How long should we monitor for atrial fibrillation after stroke?
- Acute stroke and new atrial fibrillation: when to start anticoagulation?
- To DAPT or not to DAPT: antiplatelet therapy in stroke and TIA
- Syncope: when to worry about cardiac causes
- New recommendations for the use of tilt table testing
- Syncope as a presenting symptom of COVID
- Diagnosing the patient with recurrent syncope
- Midodrine for vasovagal syncope?
- Identifying low-risk syncope patients