ADDICTION AND PAIN MANAGEMENT
• Difficult cases in alcohol withdrawal
• Common pitfalls in opioid titration for acute pain
• New guidelines on the management of opioid-induced constipation
• Dangers of natural / synthetic cannabinoids
• Update on management of opiate use disorders
• New options for the palliation of nausea and vomiting
• Testing and desensitization for β-lactam allergies
• What to do when there is no allergist
• Penicillin allergy: A risk factor for MRSA and C. difficile?
• Contemporary anaphylaxis management
• Using high-sensitivity troponin and prediction scores to rule out ACS
• The evolving use of risk scores in PE workup
• CT-PE may not rule out PE in all patients
• Should we be using PCSK9 inhibitors to prevent cardiovascular events?
• The Fourth Universal Definition of Myocardial Infarction
• Update on supplemental O2 in AMI patients
• Coronary CT for chest pain triage?
• Should we give IV magnesium for rate control of atrial fibrillation?
• PE as a cause of syncope: Dangerous, but not as common as we thought?
• A salty debate: Is sodium restriction in heart failure beneficial?
• New data: Angiotensin receptor-neprilysin inhibitors in acute decompensated heart failure
• New data: Direct oral anticoagulants (DOACs) in STEMI
• Syncope: When to order ancillary testing
• When is it appropriate to manage STEMI in the community setting?
• Atrial fibrillation: Updates on catheter ablation and LAA occlusion
• Are patient visitors the best prevention for delirium?
• Antipsychotics for delirium: Don’t believe the hype
• Are melatonin agonists useful or not in delirium prevention?
• ECG and interpretation pearls and pitfalls
• Can’t-miss radiology diagnoses
• Rapid-fire review of laboratory cases
• Radiology: Choosing the right imaging protocols
• Rapid-fire review of insulin management cases
• More liberal targets in inpatient glucose control?
• New data on metformin safety in chronic kidney disease
• Adverse effects of SGLT-2 and DPP-4 inhibitors
• Artificial pancreas therapy in the inpatient setting?
• What imaging to order in suspected biliary obstruction
• New data: Liver transplant in severe alcoholic hepatitis
• Weekly vs. daily dosing for SBP prophylaxis
• New FDA approval: Thrombopoietin receptor agonists for periprocedural thrombocytopenia in liver disease
• More data for preemptive TIPS in high-risk acute variceal hemorrhage
• Hemostatic spray: A new therapeutic option for lower GIB
• Choosing wisely: Best practices for limiting transfusions
• Case-based review: Choosing the optimal DOAC for your patient
• Reversing anticoagulation with DOACs
• New guidelines on the management of bleeding in patients on oral anticoagulants
• L-glutamine: The first new sickle cell treatment approved in 20 years
• DOACs for heparin-induced thrombocytopenia?
• Red flags: When to call hematology
• Case-based antibiotic review and pearls for interpreting culture data
• Even more reasons to avoid fluoroquinolones
• Pneumonia: The latest on CT vs CXR, steroids, atypical coverage, and optimal antibiotic duration
• Procalcitonin for stopping antibiotics in the ICU
• New therapies for influenza
• New antibiotics for highly drug-resistant organisms in 2019
• Early switch to oral antibiotics in left-sided endocarditis
• New data on oral antibiotics for Staph aureus bacteremia
• Bacteremia that should prompt a colonoscopy: Strep bovis and beyond
• Reducing mortality from ESBL bacteremia
• Cellulitis: Things we do for no reason
• New guidelines for C. difficile management
• Should we be using lactated Ringer's in the ICU?
• Is qSOFA enough for identifying sepsis?
• Do indwelling urinary catheters need to be exchanged in UTI?
• Are we undertreating osteoporosis in hip fracture patients?
• Endocarditis from non-dental procedures?
• New data on the importance of detecting perioperative MI
• Newest data on perioperative anticoagulation, aspirin, ACE inhibitors, and beta blockers
• Should we be stopping inhaled corticosteroids in COPD with pneumonia?
• New biologic options for asthma: Anti-IgE, anti-IL4 and anti-IL5 blockers
• Supplemental oxygen: Use with caution in critical illness
• Rethinking contrast-associated acute kidney injury
• Timing of renal replacement therapy in shock
• Balanced crystalloids vs. saline in the ICU
• Pearls for managing access in hospitalized ESRD patients
• Diagnostic pearls: Exam, arthrocentesis, and laboratories
• Recognizing rheumatologic emergencies
• How to avoid a crash landing: Transitioning acute gout management on discharge
• New clinical prediction rules for SAH
• New data on dual antiplatelet therapy in stroke and TIA
• Managing stroke in 2019: Beyond the TPA window
• New modality in ischemic stroke: Perfusion CT to assess salvageable penumbra
• Is MRI useful in patients with stroke of unknown onset?
• In the community: When to transfer for endovascular therapy