ADDICTION AND PAIN MANAGEMENT
• Difficult cases in alcohol withdrawal
• Gabapentinoids: Does the benefit really outweigh the risk?
• New guidelines on the management of opioid-induced constipation
• Dangers of natural / synthetic cannabinoids
• Lacing up: Common contaminants of street drugs
• Kratom for cravings? A dangerous remedy for opiate withdrawal
• Reducing recurrent opiate overdose at discharge
• Pearls for managing acute pain in patients on chronic opioids
• What to do when there is no allergist
• Managing aspirin hypersensitivity in acute coronary syndrome
• Biphasic reactions in anaphylaxis: Fact and fiction
• A step-wise approach to suspected penicillin allergy
• Beyond diuresis in HF: What you need to know about ARNIs, SGLT2i, ivabradine, and IV iron
• New ACC/AHA guidelines for atrial fibrillation management
• Are we overdoing dual-antiplatelet therapy after stenting?
• P2Y12 inhibitors: Choosing the best agent in acute coronary syndrome
• How much is enough? Complete vs. focused revascularization after MI
• Colchicine after MI: Not just for gout anymore?
• Can your smartwatch diagnose atrial fibrillation?
• Is sodium restriction in heart failure worth its salt?
• New guidelines for venous thromboembolism
• How high is too high? When to reverse a supratherapeutic INR with vitamin K
• Think twice before stopping anticoagulation in unprovoked venous thromboembolism
• New guidelines: Diagnostic approach to recurrent syncope
• Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR): Should we refer earlier in AS patients?
• Difficult cases: Overcoming diuretic resistance in heart failure
• Antipsychotics in delirium: Less than we bargained for?
• New data on anticholinergics, dementia, and delirium
• 16 melatonin and delirium trials: What's the verdict?
• Difficult cases in delirium management
• Rapid-fire review of electrolyte, liver, and heme cases
• Radiology pearls: Identifying subtle findings on CXR
• Can't-miss ECG diagnoses
• Contrast or no contrast? Choosing the right imaging protocols
• Difficult cases in insulin management
• New FDA approval: Automated insulin delivery in DM1
• Hypoglycemia close to discharge date: A marker for readmission and mortality
• New data on the safety of SGLT2 inhibitors
• Going to extremes: Hypoglycemia risk rises with both high and low hemoglobin A1c
• New guidelines: Management of nonvariceal upper GI bleeding
• Strategies for managing bleeding and thrombosis in the cirrhotic patient
• Should more patients with severe alcoholic hepatitis get liver transplants?
• How soon? Resuming anticoagulation and antiplatelet agents after a GI bleed
• Updated guidelines on management of biliary stones
• Malabsorption after acute pancreatitis: An underdiagnosed complication
• Rapid-fire case review: Working up anemia in the hospital
• Practical approach to IV iron repletion
• New data: DOAC use in chronic kidney disease and obesity
• Choosing a DOAC after GI bleeding
• Anti-platelet antibodies: Is there ever a reason to order them?
• Red flags: When to call hematology?
• Intensive case-based review of inpatient antibiotics
• Pearls for interpreting culture and sensitivity data
• The Medicare sepsis bundle: Is it evidence-based?
• The positive MRSA nasal screen: To treat or not to treat?
• Newly approved antibiotics for highly resistant bacteria
• Short course therapy for uncomplicated Gram-negative bacteremia
• Reducing death in Staph aureus bacteremia
• Early switch to oral antibiotics for MRSA bacteremia and endocarditis
• Community-acquired C. difficile: No longer number two?
• Unexpected benefits and hidden dangers of fecal transplants
• Controversies in the new community-acquired pneumonia guidelines
• New options for treating complicated UTIs
• Pearls for managing skin and soft tissue infections
• A checklist for inpatients with HIV
• New data: Anticoagulation for post-op atrial fibrillation?
• Updates on perioperative anticoagulation, aspirin, ACE inhibitors, and beta blockers
• Are we undertreating osteoporosis in hip fracture patients?
• Endocarditis from non-dental procedures?
• New data on the importance of detecting perioperative MI
• Vaping-associated lung injury: What the hospitalist needs to know
• C-reactive protein: Better than procalcitonin for pneumonia management?
• State-of-the-art treatment for asthma and COPD exacerbation
• Current recommendations for high-flow and supplemental O2
• Blood pressure management in end-stage renal disease
• Dialysis access: what the hospitalist needs to know
• New phosphate binders: Pitfalls and promise
• New data on the GI toxicity of sodium polystyrene sulfonate
• Workup of acute glomerulonephritis
• Rapid-fire cases: Rheumatologic emergencies and masqueraders
• Diagnostic pearls: Exam, arthrocentesis, and serologies
• New options for acute gout attacks
• 2020 update: Is the thrombolysis window now out to 9 hours?
• Dual antiplatelet therapy in stroke and TIA
• Primary prophylaxis for stroke in patients with atherosclerosis: Another indication for DOACs?